Wednesday, December 04, 2013

A Pace for Restoring the Soul


My three month break from all things internet lingered into five as I wasn't quite ready to give up its serenity. It felt like being lifted out of a busy shopping mall and being placed instead in the middle of nature--quiet, beautiful, and inspiring.

Creating silent space lends itself to hearing from the Lord. With my mind free from the pull of a million distractions the last few months, scripture has become a place of refuge and poignant guidance. I've loved not defaulting to media-browsing to fill quite moments, but to the most loving One and his Word, to great old books and hymns, to projects around the house, and to really good time with my family.

A few verses in Genesis stood out to me one day about Isaac and Rebekah. There's this guy on a mission to find a wife for Isaac. He meets Rebekah and she seems to fit all the qualifications, but instead of making the match immediately,

"the man gazed at her [Rebekah] in silence to learn whether the Lord had prospered his journey or not." 


And as he discerned that she was indeed the right match for Isaac, he helped write the next piece of the story that would one day become the lineage to which Jesus was born.

The Lord always keeps his promise to grant wisdom and discernment, and I'm learning I benefit all the more when I create silence to listen. 

I've enjoyed a big pile of books on this break. While reading Shauna Niequist's book, Bread and Wine, I happened upon a part where she discusses a week long trip without her phone. She reflects on the silence, saying,

"...being everywhere was keeping me from being anywhere, 
from being in any one particular place.  
All of a sudden, that silence - that blessed, glorious, strange silence - 
let me be completely in one place... 
how non-fragmented my brain and spirit felt, 
how little I missed on Pinterest and Facebook." 

A lot happened during this break. And I'd love to share some of it over the next few weeks. I thought perhaps I would be led to shut down the blog after my time away. But that doesn't seem to be the case -- at least for now. We'll see what the future holds. 

Thank you so much to those who sent kind notes of encouragement and prayer as I retreated for a bit. You are such a gift to me.


He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness 
for his name's sake. 
Psalms 23


{image: little watercolor I doodled while my boys painted the other day}

ShareThis