Friday, January 20, 2012

Weakness


My sweet sister gave me a very special necklace for Christmas.  Next to the tiny "K" charm there is a locket, and inside the locket is a tiny piece of paper folded several times with a tiny green ribbon tying it up.

If you untied the string and unfolded the piece of paper you'd find a verse that runs through my head rather consistently throughout the day:

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9

I'm not sure if she knew how much I have clung to this verse on my mothering journey so far, but it was the perfect selection for the locket.
I've never done anything else in life where I've experienced such weakness, and such a need for God's grace. I've never silently cried out "Help me!" so many times.

I've been thinking a lot about what it means for his power to be made perfect in my weakness.
And I've decided that I really want to see that. I want to see His power made perfect.

Admitting my weakness and my need for God is a platform for the demonstration of his incredible power. 
Even though it can be difficult (as it undoubtedly was for Paul, who wrote these words), it is the best place to be.

Motherhood is a most incredible journey, so all-consuming, so refining, so wonderful, and such a perfect place for God to work in our weakness.

ShareThis