Friday, January 13, 2012

Everyone Loves a Good "Before and After"....

As seems to be the case with many couples (us included), my parents' bedroom was low on the list of priorities of things that needed to be decorated or fixed up around their house. 

But my sister and I knew they would enjoy a spruce-up so we asked if we could take on a little beautification project. My mom was thrilled.

Here are a few shots of the room before...

(and of course I had to use bad lighting and wait until there were some Christmas-wrapping piles and an unmade bed for dramatic effect...)




Anne and I had a budget of about $250. We took over the room for about 4 hours, and here is the finished product...



...blew up several old black and white pictures of the two of them...

... My dad has a great collection of artifacts in his office so we used a few in the room. The "200" was unearthed during a building project he did in NYC several years back....

...The beautiful old dresser was my mom's dad's...

...My dad's dad collected this piece during WWII...

....the entryway with an antique clock from a few generations back...

...this shelf hangs above a reading chair and side table...

...the pillow covers, blanket, and curtains are all from Ikea....

(the walls are actually white, not the same color as the curtains as this picture appears)

It has a very serene and relaxing feel-- the perfect place for two busy people to end their day.

There were a few things left undone (a rug for the foot of the bed, and a big rustic piece to hang above the bed) but they really loved the finished product. And we had such a blast doing it!

ShareThis