Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Book Collection


I think having seasonal books around for respective holidays is a great way to ingrain the meanings and stories in children.

Over the last couple years we've been collecting holiday books for Christmas and Easter, and a few for other smaller holidays. We read them over and over again throughout the holiday.  

This is the first Christmas Caedmon is able to "talk" about what we are reading and remember the stories and names when I bring them up later.  For about a week now we've been reading stories about baby Jesus, and some other children's traditional Christmas stories.

I think all of these books except one are from the thrift store, less than a dollar each. I just keep them in a box at the base of the Christmas tree. Then he can grab them whenever he likes!


Here are a couple of his favorites:




And if you have a little older kids, or if you just want to read a great story yourself, try The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, or The Christmas Blessing (I haven't read this one since college, but really enjoyed it then when I read it while living in Florence, Italy. I even just found a train ticket from a weekend trip to Switzerland bookmarking a page!)

I know there must be tons of other great books. I'm excited to continue collecting them through the years!
I'd love to hear if you have any favorites!

ShareThis