Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Coffee Tray


I've been on the lookout for a little tray for the small corner of counter in my kitchen that holds my coffee pot and other coffee accessories.

I only wanted to pay a few dollars (surprise), so wasn't expecting to find anything too great.
Then I spotted this beauty at a thrift shop. 

Look at that hand-carved woodwork!
However, the tile colors were a little 70's for me.


I thought I'd attempt to change them up without buying new ones to replace them.
It was quite easy and didn't take long at all. I just had it sitting on the kitchen table and whenever I had 5 minutes here or there I'd work on it. 

1. Taped off the edges

 2. Painted over tiles with plain old cream colored acrylic craft paint. (I'm sure this is a no-no in the ceramic tile world, but I was just looking for a quick and easy fix.)

3. Once the paint dried I took a mechanical pencil with no lead and traced the flower design from underneath, revealing the previous design through the paint.



4. I painted on one more layer of the cream, let it dry, and then sparingly (with the pencil) etched the flower design, giving it more of an antiqued look instead of tracing every line.

5. Last, I painted a layer of Modge Podge with a sponge brush over the top to seal the paint and make it (somewhat) water-resistant. 



I really like the finished product. It's not perfect, and I'm sure will chip or peal, but for now it's just the unique touch I was hoping for.
~~

I've always loved this thought from Edith Schaeffer (in The Hidden Art of Homemaking) on using creativity to enhance your home:
First of all, be satisfied with the fact that although your art or talent may never be accepted by the world as anything 'great', and may never be your career, it can be used to enrich your day by day life: enrich it for you, and for the people with whom you live.
Secondly,  come to a recognition of the fact that it is important for you to be creative in this area to the extent of your talent: important for you as a person who is a creative creature.

ShareThis