Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day to My Most Incredible Father!

Parenthood has given me a completely different perspective on the time, attention and sacrifice my parents exhibited for so many years, and continue to even now.

I look at pictures like these differently. We look like we're happily floating along, relaxing and enjoying the water.

But I now know that relaxation is almost impossible while holding a baby. In reality was there fussing and squirming?

Even if there was he would have likely kept that smile and tried to make it an enjoyable experience for me.
My entire life, I've rarely experienced impatience from my Dad.



He's always made us feel that spending time with us is his highest preference and choice and there's nowhere else he'd rather be.

I've read countless times that children's feeling of being loved is heavily measured by time. Daddy (as I still call him) has always made time with us a major priority.

He's always been at our hundreds of events and games, taken us on dates, pulled out the family devotion book every night when dinner was done, created weekly fun Sunday afternoon family excursions, planned amazing trips and vacations, upheld family traditions like our weekly family viewing of Touched by an Angel while eating Rice a Roni, and lead our monthly 'family meetings' where we ate candy cigarettes and drank root beer out of bottles (still makes me laugh to think of that)!


And probably the most valuable time he gave was every single night kneeling beside our beds, talking about our days and praying with us. What a gift he gave and what a legacy he has left!

Happy Father's Day, Daddy! I love you so much and hope that I can demonstrate to my own children my love for them in the time I give joyfully, as you have.

ShareThis