Sunday, March 27, 2011

How To Strengthen Love

In an old recorded talk given by Elisabeth Elliot I listened to this week, she quoted part of Huqo Bassi's poem, "Sermon in a Hospital:"


Measure thy life by loss and not by gain; 
not by the wine drunk, but by the wine poured forth. 
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice, 
and he that suffereth most hath most to give.

For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice... I've been saying this over and over again in my mind the past several days.  The key to growing love and strengthening it is sacrificing in it.


It's what Jesus did when he sacrificed everything.
It's what we do when he tells us to lay down our lives for our friends, our co-workers, our spouse, our kids, our enemies.
He knows it's the best way- the way to greatest love. 




In moments of frustration over the last few days, moments when I wanted to be considered first, when I wanted my way, when I thought I deserved better, I remembered this and it was so comforting (though I did not always succeed at loving well!)

Just another example of God's kingdom -- down leading up.

Love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice.

ShareThis