Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baby's Birthday Eve

Today, on the eve of our sweet baby Caed's birthday, I've been very reflective thinking back to one year ago when, after a sonogram and doctor's visit, they decided to induce & deliver our 10 day late baby.  He had not grown in size in a couple weeks meaning he was no longer taking in nutrients, so it was time to bring him out into the world.

It's unbelievable to witness the change that takes place in just one year. I am now in the days of chasing him around and playing peek-a-boo from behind doors and constantly pulling things out his mouth and dancing to any music we hear and "ruff ruff"ing with any dog we pass...  These are great, exhausting, memorable, full, confusing, prayerful, love-filled days.

While he was playing on the floor for about 2 minutes this morning I grabbed my journal and wrote a few thoughts.  In summary...

Even though our labor and delivery were very different from what we planned on and hoped for, there is so much to be thankful for.  I'm thankful for the technology that allowed us to measure the unborn baby's weight and growth. I'm thankful for a wonderful hospital and nurses and midwives. I'm so thankful for the love from family and friends that brought me to tears while in labor as Kristian read me emails and texts and facebook messages and recounted phone conversations.  I'm thankful for Lisa, our incredible doula who stuck with us for basically two days and showed such encouragement and support.  And during it all I was most thankful for my husband who did not leave my side, breathed through every contraction with me, and witnessed much more than he'd ever hoped to, and much more than I'm willing to share on this blog!

There was so much grace surrounding Caedmon's birth.

If I can grab moments over the next few days I hope to post memories and pictures from the time surrounding the birthday.

Here is a clip of our cab ride on the way to the hospital one year ago tonight.

video

ShareThis