Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Lighting the Flame of the Contagious Fire of Gratitude.

Journaling is how I process.
Life, thoughts, prayers, ideas, memories- it's all there.


I have kept a journal somewhat consistently since first grade. It was called a 'Diary' then, of course. Much more intriguing.

On my birthday this year I started reading back through some journals dating from around 2004 through the present. What a delight to read old memories- stories from our travels in Europe, the story of my engagement to Kristian, praises, heartaches, dreams. And it was incredible to see the way that God has moved since that time.


In addition to my regular writings, I am embarking on a new journaling journey.
It already feels life-changing.


It only requires listing thanks and gifts.
1,000 gifts listed in my journal. 
There is no deadline. 
Could take weeks, could take a year.


Ultimately, however, the goal is not to simply reach 1,000.
It is to create a habit of thankfulness.
A life of praise.

My encouragement:

Be joyful always.
Pray continually.
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:17,18

I love that in scripture we are continually called to give thanks.
In. All. Things.

I mentioned the other day in my post on a frustrating day of mothering that my saving grace was taking a moment to step back and list what I am thankful for. It changed everything, allowing me a fresh perspective and refocusing my heart on what matters.


So here and there I will share some of my list and and how the journey is progressing.

As for now, I have a good bit of drool in my hair because a baby is nuzzling his face into it. Time to close the computer.

(I was inspired by this woman's beautiful blog, and her challenge to start with 1,000, and see where it leads.)

ShareThis