Saturday, August 21, 2010

Our bench. Eh, couch.

I've always had a 'love-hate' relationship with this couch.
Or maybe it's just more 'hate'.
Hate's strong.
Maybe just more 'dislike'.


I know I should love it. It's just hard. You see, it's more of a bench, with cushions.

And the cushions slide.  Once there was a serious conversation taking place in our living room amongst a few friends.  One guy didn't realize that over the course of an hour his cushion had been slowly sliding.  Everyone couldn't help but pause and laugh as they looked over and saw him in what appeared to be a reclined lawn chair.

That's what happens on this couch. There's no settling in and getting cozy while watching a good movie.  There's no falling asleep with your head propped on the big comfy arm.

I picture a more fitting home for it to be a frat house.  Or maybe the front porch of a frat house.

But I guess there is a little love involved.
I love the fact that it was basically free.
And that we brought it to our apartment in a NYC cab.
And that it has been a faithful place to sit for over 3 years now.
It hasn't broken underneath us. So that's good.

And at the end of the day, I love that you don't need a couch to make you happy.

I am bound and determined to make this couch bench look nice in our home, and to not wish for something better (anymore).

It is more than most of the world has.  It provides a more comfortable seat than some will ever own.
A couch is not eternal. My material comfort is not eternal.
The gratitude in my heart is what does matter. I am called to give thanks in all circumstances.
Even couch circumstances.
So I will.

ShareThis