Monday, May 17, 2010

Friends







Finding myself a bachelor again for 6 days while Katy and Caedmon are out of town has left things unusually silent and still at 101st & Lexington. It's provided a lot of time for reflection. Something I read tonight eloquently captured what I've been thanking God for all day today:

"I'm on' tell you right now what I first thought about Mr. Ron askin me would I be his friend: I didn't like it. Why would he want to be my friend? That's what I was thinkin. What does he want? Everybody want somethin. Why don't he pick somebody else? Why I got to be his friend?
You got to understand that by that time, I had layers of street on me a mile thick. Some homeless folks got lotsa friends, but I hadn't ever let nobody get that close. It wadn't that I was worried about gettin hurt or nothin like that. Bein a friend is a heavy commitment. In a way, even more than a husband or a wife. And I was selfish. I could take care a' myself, and I didn't need nobody else' s baggage. Besides that, friendship to me means more than just somebody to talk to, or run with, or hang with. Bein friends is like being soldiers in the army. You live together; you fight together; you die together." -Same Kind of Different as Me, Denver Moore
God has been extremely gracious to Katy and me in our short lives to surround us with many people we want to live and fight and die with. We have noble and beautiful friends - too many, in fact, to picture in a single blog entry.

Immensely grateful for that tonight.

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" Proverbs 18:24

ShareThis