Sunday, April 25, 2010

little this, little that

Blogging has taken a back seat to the many things going on in our lives right now. I always think of things I want to blog about but just can't seem to make the time. But I've found a few minutes so here ya go...

Kristian and I (and Caedmon) went to a great event the other night hosted by the Lausanne Movement. It was one of the 12 Conversations taking place all over the US this year, leading up to the big event in Cape Town, South Africa, in October 2010.

The evening was comprised of a panel discussion as well as a Q & A time. The panelists included Louie Giglio, Tim Keller, and four others, and they really were excellent. The majority of their discussion focused on the movement of the Gospel in cities. It was quite inspiring and encouraging.

Two of my favorite quotes from the night:
The Father has the heart for the city,
the Son is the hope of the city,
& the Holy Spirit is our navigator in the city.
-Louie Giglio

We need to learn from our brothers and sisters around the world
who are pursuing Jesus without the crutches of affluence.
-Bethany Hoang, IJM
...............................................
Around the house...

DSC_0751

DSC_0753

.............................................
Just read the first chapter of David Platt's new book online for free. Looking forward to getting the book so I can read the rest.

Here are a few lines:

"...And this is where we need to pause. Because we are starting to redefine Christianity.We are giving in to the dangerous temptation to take the Jesus of the Bible and twist him into a version of Jesus we are more comfortable with.

A nice, middle-class, American Jesus. A Jesus who doesn’t mind materialism and who would never call us to give away everything we have. A Jesus who would not expect us to forsake our closest relationships so that he receives all our affection. A Jesus who is fine with nominal devotion that does not infringe on our comforts, because, after all, he loves us just the way we are. A Jesus who wants us to be balanced, who wants us to avoid dangerous extremes, and who, for that matter, wants us to avoid danger altogether. A Jesus who brings us comfort and prosperity as we live out our Christian spin on the American dream..."
......................................

Another great read of the week: Noel and John Piper's adoption story.

......................................

Caedmon attended his first birthday party last week.
........................................
On my mind this weekend from Psalm 34:

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.

This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.

.........................................

My husband convinced me that I could learn a lot of interesting and beneficial stuff if I joined Twitter.
So, I tweet.
(Not very often, and not very well, but I'm trying.)

Speaking of my husband, he's on a staff offsite work trip for 2 nights.
He's been gone 2.5 hours.
I'm feeling blue.

ShareThis