Friday, March 19, 2010

Things on my mind this week...

7 wks

-Sleeping baby in my lap while I work makes work a lot more enjoyable.

-Spring feels awesome.

-True friends are a gift from the Lord. We are not entitled to them. They are not promised to us. They are a gift.

-Social media outlets can be amazing. Social media outlets can be crippling.
It's very easy to post a comment, update, tweet, or blog cloaked in pride and a desire to feel significant. God save us from creating a culture that makes bragging so easy and innocent seeming. Show me how to use these things for your glory.

-Working from home makes it too simple to snack too often.

-It's easier to run downstairs to the French cafe and get an 87 cent cup of coffee with steamed milk than make my own. Not easier on my discretionary money, though. This needs to change.

-I love homemade granola.

-I've missed thrift stores the last two months.

-Adoption will have its challenges...


...Which leads me to my next thoughts...

We are big on adoption in our home.
It's something Kristian and I have both felt passionately about for several years.
It's funny, as I've thought back through my life, I realize that I have always been very drawn to the plight of orphans. Most of my favorite movies and books when I was young were stories of parentless children (Newsies, Annie, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, The Boxcar Children...) Maybe that's not too uncommon.

The reasoning behind it obviously was not that I desired their circumstance. I have amazing parents. I think the draw was always a desire I felt to help them. And maybe God was teaching me about adoption?

Now, I am at a place in life where orphan care can be a reality.
God has so graciously given me a husband who has similar feelings.

But let me say that adoption/orphan care is not just for those who "feel a calling" or are drawn towards it. If Kristian and I didn't feel naturally inclined towards this I still am extremely convinced that we would need to ask the Lord to show us what our involvement should be, and ask that he would incline our hearts.

And the great news is we wouldn't have to wait long for an answer because he tells us.
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1

He wants us to take action on their behalf, and care.
It is quite clear throughout scripture that God cares an INTENSE amount about the fatherless.
He has called his people to respond to their need.

Adoption is also a BEAUTIFUL parallel to the story of God and his children... the way we have been adopted as his people. I was Fatherless, without hope, until he made me his own.
"In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves." Ephesians 1

Hear John Piper briefly describe this more eloquently than I:



There is a lot to this process. Adoption is a very difficult thing for countless reasons.
We have a long road ahead, but do feel this is something God wants us to respond to.

Thanks to great financial advice and counseling we have received, we have been working for a few years to set aside money for our first adoption. In 2009 we completed the fund!
(By the way- yes, some adoptions can be expensive, but you can also basically adopt for free on your local city and state level. There are many options.)

Last night I was lying in bed thinking...
Our baby might already have been born.
He or she might be crying in an orphanage somewhere right now. Caedmon cries and we respond. There may be no one responding to this baby.
He or she may have been abandoned, or his or her parents may have died.
He or she may be hungry. The thought of Caedmon going hungry for any long period of time is heartbreaking. We may have another baby going hungry right now.
He or she may have developmental delays.
His or her skin may be red, yellow, black or white.
He or she may have many difficult issues being created right this very minute due to neglect or malnourishment that will take a lifetime to work through.

These thoughts bring urgency to the issue. They remind me of the humanity and reality of all these fatherless children. It's easy to not respond with urgency because we don't see them and feel them as our own.

DSC_0338

But they are there and they require a response.

"Lord, do Thou turn me all into love, and all my love into obedience, and let my obedience be without interruption." –Jeremy Taylor

ShareThis