Sunday, March 07, 2010

An assortment of things

"Nowhere in scripture do I see a 'balanced life with a little bit of God added in' as an ideal for us to emulate.

Yet when I look at our churches, this is exactly what I see: a lot of people who have added Jesus into their lives...

The God of the universe is not something we can just add to our lives and keep on as we did before.

The Spirit who raised Christ from the dead is not someone we can just call on when we want a little extra power in our lives.

Jesus Christ did not die in order to follow us.

He died and rose again so we could forget everything else and follow Him to the cross, to true life."

Here's just a quote from a great article I recently read in Relevant Magazine.
If you have a minute, read the whole piece.
.....................................

DSC_0178-1

I have been reading a lot lately on the sovereignty of God in ALL situations- difficult and pleasant, big and small. I've been reminded of how he brings about situations or allows ones that are for our best, though they may be really rough.

Do we trust him in the hard times? Are we able to look at those situations and ask what he is trying to teach us?

In a frustrating encounter with someone at the grocery store, or with a spouse, a friend, or a child, are we able to step back, and instead of placing blame and judgement on that person, ask "What area of my heart is God working on here?", "What have I been praying for? Patience? Humility?" This may be His way of responding to those prayers.

I've been reading a great book called Equipped to Love, by Norm Wakefield, that talks about removing idolatry from our relationships. I had never really thought of my relationships in this way, but it makes a lot of sense. I often subconsciously value people by what they can do for me, or by how they make me feel. I make an idol and look to them for my worth and validation, instead of to the Lord.
Or, I make an idol of myself, putting way too much value on the things I think I deserve or need.

I could go on, but don't have time right now so hopefully more on this later.
Good things for me to think about!
.......................................

Funny.
I often find our little guy sleeping like this with one or two arms up in the air.
Sometimes they are in fists, and sometimes straight up by his head.
Sweet boy.


............................

It is pretty cool to see how happy the sight of a baby makes people. I think I've had more people stop and talk to me on the streets, in stores, and restaurants the past 6 weeks than the past 4 years in NYC. Babies make people happy, and that's really cool.

I have had people come out of their way to walk over and ask how old he is, what that crazy piece of cloth is wrapped all around my body (the Moby), and wish me well. And much to my surprise, it's not just women- men do it too!

Just about an hour ago I was out sitting somewhere and a woman came in the store and walked over to me with this look of excitement and joy on her face...

"Well, I just thought you had on a big shirt or something, but it's a BABY! Oh my!!! How precious! How wonderful! How old? No, wait!! Let me guess..." and she went on.
The conversation ended with her asking if she could pat him. (??) Ok. Now, don't worry grandparents of Caedmon, it is not common that random people pat your grandchild.

But this lady looked like it would be good for her to pat a baby. So I let her :)
And I think it made her day.


(My good friend Becky hanging out with us the other day)
..................................

Aunt Anne brought Caedmon a cute little stuffed elephant from South Africa.
Here's my attempt to get a picture of baby and elephant together.

2010 3 March

And finally...

DSC_0258

ShareThis