Monday, October 26, 2009

Peacemaker

(Shawna took a few pics of us yesterday in the park. more to come. thank you, wonderful friend!)

I'm reading a great book right now, A Beautiful Offering, recommended to me by my friend Casey.

I could blog about 100 things from it so far, but here was one great little section from this morning's subway ride. The chapter is on being a Peacemaker... "blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" (matthew 5:9)
Here is what the author says:

"If you want your life to be a Beautiful Offering to God, then one of the attributes that he blesses is becoming a woman of peace. Maybe the woman who has become a peacemaker would look something like this:

- She has surrendered her life to God, and she's not mad about it. She is learning to trust him with the outcome, and even beyond the outcome, she anticipates that His plan will be more exciting and better than she could have imagined.

- She tends the hearts of those she loves. Petty details decline in value. Love matters more.

- She is beginning to see what counts for eternity and gives her attention accordingly.

- She is interruptible.

- She looks into the eyes of neighbors and strangers and goofy friends of her kids and sees the person who wants to be loved and valued and applauded.

- She understands that life doesn't always turn out right and people don't turn out right and just about everything needs to be covered in forgiveness.

- She is slow to mumble stupid words of discouragement.

- She considers when it is appropriate to become angry.

- She is way past appearances and pretense. (ouch!)

- She surrounds herself with passionate contentment."

She goes on to list potential characteristics of a woman who does not have peace.
Here are just a few:

"- She will compromise her offering just to make people happy.

- She closes her eyes to injustice.

- She is timid and insecure.

- She is a grudge keeper.

- She is anxious and fearful, looking for disappointment and expecting the worst.

- She is prone to gossip and slander

- She might be funny, but she is miserable and leaves you feeling gloomy or sad.

- The little stuff eats her lunch and derails her attitude.

... Here is some of the best news I know about peace... We get to enjoy peace because it has already been made through Jesus, and it becomes part of our countenance through our intimacy with God...
I have peace in my life because I have come to rest in my belief in God.
I trust that if I seek his will, he will not hide his direction from me.
I believe in eternity, and that gives me peace for these earthly days.
I really believe that God works and reworks all things together for good.
He restores what has been broken and heals what has been wounded.
I don't have peace because I figured it all out.
I have peace because I believe in Christ."

ShareThis