Saturday, July 25, 2009

Words that I want to be my own

Let the mighty tides of his everlasting love
cover the rocks of my sin and care;
then let me Spirit float above these things
which had else wrecked my life.
If traces of Christ's love - artistry be upon me,
may he work on with his divine brush
until the complete image be obtained
and I be made a perfect copy of him, my Master.
-Valley of Vision
"You made us for yourself, and our hearts find no peace till they rest in you." -Augustine

I read this prayer by Augustine this week and can only pray that it will be the cry of my own heart:

"How sweet all at once it was for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which I had once feared to lose!...You drove them from me, you who are the true, the sovereign joy. You drove them from me and took their place... O Lord my God, my Light, my Wealth, and my Salvation."

ShareThis