Friday, June 26, 2009

Hawaii and a Birthday

A few weeks back I had the amazing opportunity to go with my parents to go visit Anne in Kona, Hawaii! It was an incredible trip, mainly filled with lots of good talks and food, and of course the beauty of Hawaii.
I was even able to take a 24 hour trip over to Maui and visit our dearly loved friends and see all our favorite old places from when we lived there.
The time could not have been better. Here's a little slide show:



Also, today is my wonderful dad's birthday!!!
As I move toward parenthood myself, I've been thinking a lot about my parents and the way they raised us.
One thing that always stands out to me about my dad is his patience.
It's pretty amazing actually.
I think he is the most patient person I've ever known.
Whether recognized or not, I think his patience is part of the reason so many people respect him.
I am reminded of several proverbs on this quality...
A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense. Prov. 19:11
My dad is extremely wise. I guess that's where the patience comes from. And I cannot tell you how many times I have seen him overlook an offense in favor of building someone up instead, or setting a Christ-like example for his daughters.

Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone. Prov 25:15
My whole life I have heard my dad's co-workers and the people who work for him talk about their respect for him. I even had one man tell me he would do anything for my dad, though he requires people to do their best, and sometimes tasks that seem insurmountable, the man said "You just make it happen because he's such a great man and you can't let him down."
I think his patience is almost captivating to people sometimes. He never, ever, looses his temper.

Thank you, Daddy, for showing me such patience, always. It seems so be a rare quality, I've found.

It is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22), and it's quite evident my dad has the Spirit in him.

And Jesus' patience with us is one of the most shocking things in the Bible, I think. I thank God for my Christ-like father!

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 1 Tim 1:15-16

ShareThis