Sunday, May 24, 2009

Creating

Been working on a few projects here and there- just little stuff.
I really enjoy finding things at thrift stores and then sprucing them up a bit.

(I always love "before and after" pictures so I thought I'd make my own)
Found this little mirror with a cloth border that was pretty stained. Washed it off and treated with a bleach stick and it came out nicely.
Our front door is probably the most unsightly thing about our apartment but there isn't too much you can do about it. It has layers of paint and a few layers ago it looks like the door was covered in big stickers, and then painted over. oh well.
The #13 was pretty bad, so I recently painted a little wooden square with our number and scraped the paint off the peephole. I still had to hang the square a little crooked though so it didn't completely accentuate the fact that the peephole is very crooked. haha.
I've been having so much fun with my new sewing machine! My friend, Ginger, had me over to sew a few weeks ago and help me put together a fun little baby gift. She's quite the seamstress and I have so much to learn. Here is the towel hoodie and bathing mitt I made for a friend with a new baby boy.Another fun sewing project- pillow covers out of linen napkins. I found these NEW napkins at the thrift store- so many different fun colors and patterns.
(Pillow forms can be a bit pricey sometimes so we came up with a funny solution when we first moved to NYC. With SO little storage space, and little money to buy pillows for some cute covers I had, we started stuffing our pillows with winter clothes like puffy coats and sweaters! ha- i know that's about as rigged as it gets, but hey- it works! Also- just found a dollar store where pillow forms are a dollar.)
A couple other little thrift store finds fixed up for the apt, and other homemade things...
"La Cucina" sign painted on a rugged wooden plank/sign thing,
a little basket to hold fun pictures from the past several years that haven't made it into albums so we can still enjoy them,
a little pillow cover actually made from an old shirt (stuffed with sweaters).
and "roses are red" painted on a little terra cotta pot.
I read a great book a while back by Edith Schaeffer, the Christian philosopher Francis Schaeffer's wife, called The Hidden Art of Homemaking. That title may be off-putting and the book may seem a bit dated to some, but I found it lovely.

She talked about the beauty of Christian's creating because our God is the most Creative Being in existence! He created creativity and art and beauty!

Her focus is very much so on creating beauty out of the small things, thriftiness, and making something out of "nothing."

"It seems to me that, whether it is recognized or not, there is a terrific frustration which increases in intensity and harmfulness as time goes on, when people are always daydreaming of the kind of place they would like to live, yet never making the place where they do live into anything artistically satisfying to them."

"We are supposed to be representing the Creator who is there and whom we acknowledge to be there.
It is true that all men are created in the image of God, but Christian's are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically, and creatively, as creative creatures of a Creator...
doesn't mean that we should drop everything to concentrate on trying to develop into great artists.
But it does mean that we should consciously do something about it.
There should be a practical result of the realization that we have been created in the image of the Creator of beauty. "

ShareThis