Friday, May 08, 2009

Continued...

(More thoughts from Easter weekend)

GOOD FRIDAY

My boss let us go after a half day so I had some unexpected time to spend alone, thinking about the day's significance.
A few random thoughts I wrote down:

Luke 22:31 "Simon, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat,
32but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.
And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."
~Jesus tells Simon Peter that Satan demanded to have him. BUT Jesus prayed for him that his faith would not fail! AND he trusts that this WILL happen. He says “When you have trusted again, strengthen your brothers”
I'm on a continual journey learning about prayer and it's absolute vitality in life. I often go back to this verse and it's so comforting:

Romans 8: 26-Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
27And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit,
because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God
.

(Luke 22:54-62)~ How often I deny Jesus with my actions and my heart. May I have heart like Peter’s to weep bitterly (vs 62) with remorse and shame.
Just read through the end of Luke 23- Too much to even take in.
On Jesus sweating blood- this signifies the magnitude and pain of what was about to happen!
According to commentary, this condition- Hematidrosis- only occurs when extreme anguish or physical strain causes one’s capillary blood vessels to dilate and burst, mixing sweat and blood.—Oh, how very human He was!! I often forget that. He completely understands humanity through and through. He was completely man.

(22:46)~ “Pray that you may not enter into temptation”!
Again, Jesus understands and confirms that God, indeed, listens and answers prayer.
(23:12)~ Herod and Pilate become friends through Jesus' trial, after years of being enemies. Jesus really is the Prince of Peace.

(23:26-49)~ I'm trying to imagine the excruciating pain that Jesus’ mother and close friends felt watching him there on the cross. I can hardly allow myself to imagine witnessing Kristian’s torture and killing, or one of my other family members. Just unbelievably excruciating.

(23:44-49)~ I love how the Centurion can to nothing but acknowledge that Christ is Lord! And I love that they unknowingly declare the truth of who he is by placing a sign above him reading “King of the Jews”. (vs38)

I was moved to tears at the Good Friday service thinking of Jesus there on the cross with so many around him ridiculing, mocking, shouting insults, laughing at his preceived weakness, inflicting physical injury upon injury, degrading him to the lowest level... Those he was doing this for were standing there despising him.

I thought, “If only I could have been there to show him how thankful I am!"

This compels me to worship.

ShareThis