Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Savoring

In the psalms I find myself at my worst and my best. Here I can acclaim God with warmth and confidence and hope, but here also I can give vent to those black thoughts that might otherwise lie hidden in the dark and angry corners of my heart. Above all the psalms express the reality of my longing for God and my joy and sufferings in the vicissitude of my search for him.
- Esther de Waal

For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from Him comes my salvation.
He ONLY is my rock and my salvation...
(not any relationship, place to call home, or bank account)
-from Psalm 62

He gives power to the faint,
& to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youth shall faint & be weary,
& young men shall fall exhausted;
(everyone will grow weary at times. The important thing is our response...)
BUT those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run & not be weary;
they shall walk & not faint.
-from Isaiah 40
I love the continual urging throughout the Bible to WAIT on the Lord.
Don't get me wrong, it's really hard.
But so worth it.

Commentary on the passage from Isaiah said that to 'wait on the Lord' was to "savor God's promises by faith until the time of fulfillment." I love that!
And it said that to 'renew' was to "find endless supplies of fresh strength."

So, those who savor God's promises by faith until the time of fulfillment will find endless supplies of fresh strength!
So what are God's promises?


He will never leave us or forsake us,
He cares for us,
He will carry our burdens,
He loves us with an unconditional love,
He forgives us for EVERYTHING,
He will bring justice,
He will be near the brokenhearted,
He will give eternal life to those who trust him...
to name a few.
I really need to let those sink in.


May I not always be in a rush for "answers"... may I be obedient in the tasks and situations he has given me now, and not allow discontentment to creep in.
And most of all, may I enjoy and savor God and his promises.
Sometimes it's amazing to me that his greatest commandment to us is to LOVE him. What an honor to be able to do this. As I continue to learn to love him wholeheartedly, I will more clearly understand his will.

Show me how to wait on you, Lord.

Let the favor (or beauty) of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!
- Ps 90:17

ShareThis