Tuesday, February 17, 2009

admired or despised


I've been praying this prayer for the past couple days from one of my favorite little books, The Valley of Vision. Here are a few little excerpts from it.
I'm really compelled by the complete "dying to self" it describes...

Lord of Immortality,
Before whom angels bow and archangels veil their faces,
enable me to serve the with reverence and godly fear.

Thou who art Spirit and requirest truth in the inward parts, help me to worship thee in spirit and in truth.

Thou who art righteous,
let me not harbour sin in my heart,
or induldge in wordly temper,
or seek satisfaction in things that perish.
I hasten towards an hour
when earthly pursuits and possessions
will appear vain,

when it will be indifferent whether I have been rich or poor,
successful or disappointed,
admired or despised.
But it will be of eternal moment that I have mourned for sin,
hungered and thirsted for righteousness,
loved the Lord Jesus in sincerity,
glorified in his cross.

May these objects engross my chief solicitude!

ShareThis