Friday, January 16, 2009

For days when things aren't pretty

There is no comfort in anything apart from enjoying thee
& being engaged in thy service;
Thou art All in all,
and all enjoyments are what to me thou makest them,
and no more...


I can of myself do nothing to glorify thy blessed name,
but can through grace cheerfully surrender soul and body to thee...



I know that thou art the author and finisher of faith,
that the whole work of redemption is thine alone,


that every good work or thought found in me
is the effect of thy power and grace,

that thy sole motive in working in me to will and to do
is for thy good pleasure.


-from The Valley of Vision prayer book

I have a tendency to get discouraged sometimes living in this city, especially on rainy days when everything just looks ugly.
I get a bad attitude.
I complain.
I basically have a big pitty party.

and that's wrong.

My commitment for the new year is to be thankful for life in the city...
thankful for the Lord's direction in our life that lead us here...
thankful for the presence of Christ, our wonderful church...
thankful for the heart-warming and the gag-invoking situations that I face everyday, and the things I learn about the heart of God through them.
This week I have had a renewed peace and sense of encouragement about being here.
It hasn't come from the charm of a cozy coffee shop.
It hasn't come from the contagious energy of the tourist-filled parks.
It hasn't come from finding comfort in good friends (though that helps!)
It hasn't come from an increased income or a great job.
It hasn't even come from the incredible love and support of my husband and family.It has come from Christ.

We are here right now because we feel, for us, this is where we can best serve Christ's church and love our neighbor.

It's certainly not what I always want to do.

But-

There is no comfort in anything apart from enjoying thee
& being engaged in thy service;
Thou art All in all,
and all enjoyments are what to me thou makest them,
and no more.
Thank you, Father, for life with You.
You transend all circumstances.
Thank you for your grace in loving me even when I complain.

Thank you for restoring my soul.

ShareThis