Thursday, May 29, 2008

lamps and lights

this is a painting i did a few years back while i was studying in florence. it's actually pretty large and hanging in my parents home (only my mom and dad would want a large painting of their daughter's calves in their house), but my momma just sent me this photo. she had read something recently that reminded her of it's significance and wanted to pass it along.

if i remember correctly, we were instructed to paint a scene that told a story or was meaningful to us in some way.

italy was a really precious time for me for many reasons, and one being that i had lots of time with the Lord. you can't have a lot of really in-depth conversations with locals when you don't speak their language very well. so sometimes i would find at the end of the day my only significant conversations had been with my sister and with God. i was so blessed as i learned more and more about his character through time in his word, the bible.

this painting was based on the verse from psalm 119:105:

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"
(does anyone else hear the old amy grant song?)

the devotion my mom sent me pointed out that lamps and lights have many uses.
lamps carried in the hand show the safe places for our immediate steps.
a light held high illuminates the way ahead.
God's word does both.
how precious that he has equipped us with this!

i love the words of this old hymn:

Thy Word is a lamp to my feet,
O Lord,Thy Word is a light to my way;
It shines in my soul like a star by night,
And comforts and cheers me by day.

O wonderful, wonderful Word,
My treasure, my hope, and my stay;
Each promise recorded delights my soul,
And brightens each step of my way.

Thy Word is a lamp to my feet,
O Lord, And, trusting in Thee as my all,
Whatever of evil may cross my path,
I never, no, never can fall.

Thy Word is a lamp to my feet,
O Lord,And oh, when Thy glory I see,
For all the rich blessings its truth has brought,
The praises will I give unto Thee.

(Thy Word is a Lamp, by Crosby and Main)

ShareThis